Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Parisians Love to Party, Part 2: Marche des Fiertes LGBT


Facebook for me can be both a blessing and a curse.  On the one hand, it gives me the illusion that I am being good about staying in touch with most of the important people in my life.  On the downside, it makes me insanely jealous that I'm no longer around for things like, oh, say, COMFEST in all of its hippie drum circle glory (and delicious, delicious Rad Dogs).  So when I got to reading about everyone back in C-bus getting all pumped for Pride weekend, I have to admit it bummed me out.  And then I remembered: Hey, Paris probably has gay people too!

So just as AH was beginning to recover from Fete de la Music, I succeeded in dragging him out on Saturday afternoon to the Marche des Fiertes LGBT (I at least spared him the indignity of carrying my parasol).  We settled ourselves in a prime spot near the Port Royal metro stop, and wondered aloud why there weren't more spectators.  Our answer came once the parade started: everyone seemed to be marching rather than watching. AH and I were standing on a cement divider in the middle of the street and there were times when it felt like we would be pulled out into the sea of young, drunken and scantily clad revelers (more than one sighting of a teenage girl in nothing but short shorts and a bra caused me to grumble to myself, "Pride: celebrating the love and dignity of LGBT people, and celebrating the ability of that 18 year-old's nipples to magically stay in that top").

As would be expected, Pride in Paris did not disappoint.  Here are some of the most memorable moments:

Most Festive Spectators:
These two were dancing up a storm and taking pictures with everyone that passed within ten feet of them.  Although, they might have to share that title with these gals:
I do so love thematic coordinated group costumes!

Best Headdress:

Most "And...what does that have to do with Gay Pride, exactly?":
Did I miss something?  Is Hugh Hefner, Inc., suddenly supportive of any sort of LGBT activity that doesn't involve 22 year old blondes making out in the Playboy Pools for the amusement of old, rich men?

Best Cautionary Tale:
This one goes to the girl who decided to consume copious amounts of alcohol while walking a far distance at the end of June in a sweltering urban environment.  As a result of this decision, she passed out, hit her head on the concrete, and then proceeded to puke all over herself, her friends and the police officers that came to help.  She was carted away in an ambulance.  

Party I Most Want to Be Attending Later:
A sexy cop, Alice, and what appears to be one of the Three Musketeers.

Best "HAHAHA....oh, *sigh*. WAHWAH":
The girl in the French Maid outfit that wrote "Property of DSK" on the apron.

Man Most Likely to Be My Soul Mate:
Um, hello?  We have the same parasol; it was totally meant to be.

Cutest Pride Mascot:

And last but not least...

Most Accurate Assumption Made About Me in the Shortest Amount of Time:
To the girl who handed me this flier (it says "girls who like boys who like boys").  What gave me away?

No comments:

Post a Comment