Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Supermarche, Part Deux

As most of you know, AH and I moved to France because he is doing his post-doctoral research at Ecole Polytechnique.  It follows, then, that eventually he would have to, you know, quit finding me crepes and go play with some lasers.

And so yesterday marked my first day on my own in France.  The sun was shining, it was crisp but not too cold; in other words, the perfect weather for exploring Orsay.  I set out for some pains au chocolat at the suggestion of a friend who says that it is her favorite breakfast. ( I didn't manage to control myself until morning, but they made a wonderful after dinner indulgence).  I then treated myself to a long walk through Orsay with its multiple boulangeries (bakeries), cobblestone streets and cute little boutiques; it actually quite reminds me of the Short North.  I even found a quiet little park to watch ducks and adorable French children (although not too conspicuously; I'm not sure that parents here appreciate strange American women ogling their children).

Alas, the good weather did not hold and today we were back to dreary, rainy and cold.  But my lack of fromage (I managed to procure some at a Tobac by the train station the other day; it, like the pains au chocolat, suffered an early death) compelled me to trek back into town to the Marche Franprix.  Driven by desire (with just a touch of spite), I snatch up the wedge of brie that AH discouraged me from the other day.  Just to be sure there was nothing else I needed, I decided to do a quick perusal of the aisles.  When I reached the wine section, I was overcome by melancholy at my inability to have cheap French wine at my constant disposal.  But aha, what do I see? Those horrid, plastic champagne flutes!  And now, almost completely out of spite (look, honey!  we're not drinking out of the bottle!), I pick them up along with a 2 E bottle of wine.  I jaunt back down the hill with the brie and cups in my purse and the wine bottle under my arm.  Oh yes, France. I'M KEEPING IT CLASSY.  I smile to myself, just imagining the look on AH's face when he gets home from work.

It is 7:07.  AH arrives, and I proudly show him my acquisition.  

"Um, how are you going to open that?"


1 comment:

  1. So I decided I'm not going to work through my lunch today but I'm still sitting at my desk. What to do? I know, I'll catch up on Allison's blog... got to this post... read the final line and began to violently choke on my veggies and rice from laughing so hard out loud... while I'm alone :( 2 seconds later the entire office is asking me if I'm ok and I look like a complete idiot. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete